The Australian Opal Centre (AOC) is on the cusp of realising its grand vision to construct a magnificent new building designed by architects Glenn Murcutt and Wendy Lewin.
The building will protect and preserve exquisite natural and cultural treasures, house the world’s leading not-for-profit facility dedicated to opal, encourage creativity and foster regional economic and cultural development.
A major fundraising campaign is now underway to engage up to 148 visionary patrons who together will contribute more than $9 million for construction of the new state-of-the-art facility.
AOC Founder donations will also leverage multi-million dollar government funding opportunities for the completion of the new building, with at least $25 million from the NSW and Australian Governments in our sights.
The AOC has enjoyed prior success in attracting matched funds this way: in 2012-13, public contributions leveraged more than $107,000 from the NSW Government for site works, resulting in the excavation of a 100 metre long, 11.5 metre deep construction site for the new building.
Already, around 50 AOC Founders have committed $800,000 to construct this 21st century architectural icon – will you be the next visionary to join them and make history?
Read more about the new Australian Opal Centre building, or click here to download more information about this exciting opportunity to affect big change and realise a nationally and internationally significant project. AOC Founders are outstanding as individuals; as a group, they are truly remarkable.
Who are our AOC Founders? View our Founders 'Wall of Fame' here.
Why become an AOC Founder?
This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be the benefactor of a world-renowned institution; to save national treasures, enable long-lasting positive change and become the patron of an iconic building of enduring significance in Australia's physical and cultural landscapes.
AOC Founders come from far and wide, and from all walks of life. There are many reasons to become an AOC Founder - what will yours be?
- For some, it’s being able to contribute personally to the construction of a magnificent Glenn Murcutt and Wendy Lewin building – an Australian architectural icon and a world-class model for sustainable design in semi-arid climates.
- For others, it’s knowing that generations to come will be inspired by this spectacular proof that if you dream it, you can do it.
- For those concerned with sound return on investment, it’s knowing that financial investment in the AOC will multiply and reverberate for years to come, through employment generation, new developments, economic growth and increased community capacity.
- For opal and fossil lovers, it’s creating a magnificent facility worthy to house, protect, celebrate and promote the world’s premier collection of Australia’s National Gemstone and rare opalised fossils.
- For researchers, scientists and those passionate about education, it’s contributing to world-class facilities and opportunities for students, researchers and lifelong learners from across the globe.
- Or it may be something else that touches your mind or heart. The AOC speaks to people in extraordinarily diverse ways.
All AOC Founders enjoy the benefits of tax deductibility and will receive regular updates on the campaign’s progress as well as invitations to exclusive Founder events. Most importantly, members of this elite group will be honoured in perpetuity inside the new Glenn Murcutt and Wendy Lewin-designed Australian Opal Centre.
Witness the building’s genesis, then see it fill with extraordinary treasures and be shared with the world. Be proud of the beneficial economic and cultural impacts achieved thanks to you, our visionary AOC Founders. Make the Australian Opal Centre your proud and lasting legacy.
To take up the opportunity to become an AOC Founder, download and complete an application form here; or to discuss your interest, please email Olivia Ward at email@example.com or call 0400 225 751.